It’s not all about the exercise, what you eat on a daily basis is also important in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Working with a strict fitness regime can be tiring and draining, and so you need to be eating the right foods that will offer all of the nutrients your body requires.
They say you are what you eat, so check out these healthy diet tips to keep your body in shape.
Before Your Work Out
It’s important to give your body the right fuel before you embark on a workout.
- If you’re looking for a quick fix that you can have on the go before your workout, try a natural smoothie. Milk-based protein is great pre-workout so add some Greek yoghurt along with your favourite fruits to make a great refreshing snack!
- Drink plenty of water; being hydrated will boost your performance.
- Whilst many of us see carbohydrates as our worst enemy, they are in fact ideal for pre work out meals! It’s really important to keep your energy levels up with the right nutrients. If you choose to eat bread, opt for healthy bread such as granary or whole meal. Sliced banana on toast is ideal to give you that energy boost, plus its super easy to digest and even quicker to make. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon for flavour!
After Your Work Out
One of the best times you can eat is after you’ve worked out! It’s important to recuperate energy and fuel your body with nutrients.
- The latest popular treat for after a work out is chocolate milk! Why, you ask? Well because it contains carbohydrates and protein that will swiftly recover your energy levels and contribute to muscle recovery. Plus, it’s pretty tasty!
- It’s understandable that you aren’t going to want to eat a large meal after working out. You can make a quick dish that will hit the spot but isn’t too heavy. Try salmon with a green salad drizzled with olive oil, and if you are a bit hungrier then add some sweet potato to the mix! This type of meal is good to eat after a heavy workout, as your body will need carbohydrates.
Of course it is important to eat and maintain a healthy diet on a daily basis, not just before and after a workout. Check out Secret Salons for lifestyle advice including health, fitness and beauty.
- To keep your body healthy whilst regularly exercising, your diet must be consistent. It is recommended to make a diet plan that you can work with on a weekly basis. This way, you can incorporate foods you enjoy eating, that will also benefit you whilst working out.
- Drink water every day to keep you hydrated, this will help replenish the skin which will keep you looking good as well as feeling it.
- If you’re in the process of trying to lose weight, don’t skip meals. This won’t keep your body healthy, as you aren’t getting the nutrients you need. A consistent diet plan is the way forward to a healthy lifestyle!
- License: Royalty Free or iStock source: http://rabbitfoodformybunnyteeth.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IMG_5105-520×337.jpg
- License: Royalty Free or iStock source: http://www.menshealth.com/healthytips/images/Drink-Chocolate-Milk.jpg
Terisa Able is a freelance content writer from London. She loves shopping, socialising and sunbathing and is a self-confessed yoga addict!